Requirements & How to Apply
How to Apply
All students who wish to receive academic credit for an externship must submit a completed Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form. Students whose placement is a student-initiated placement (SIP) must also submit a SIP Approval Request Form.
Students cannot add the two credits to their schedules on their own; once we receive the Externship Application and Supervision Agreement Form, we work with the Registrar's Office to add the two credits to the students' schedules.
- Mandatory Orientation: LL.M. students who have submitted the required forms and will enroll in a for-credit externship must also attend a mandatory externship orientation program held during the first week of the semester.
- Time Commitment: LL.M. students are then required to devote a minimum of ten (10) hours per week for at least eleven (11) weeks to the externship. The work week is Monday - Friday. Please note that some organizations request more than 10 hours per week (most students participating in the program average 12-16 hours per week), but no full-time student should work more than 20 hours in any given week.
- Time Sheet: LL.M. students must keep a weekly time sheet that confirms the number of hours the student has worked and generally describes the nature of the work performed without disclosing any confidential information.
- Paper: At the end of the semester, the student will be required to submit a 5-10 page paper reflecting on the externship experience (see description in the LL.M. Externship Program Information).
- Mandatory Exit Class: All externship participants must attend a mandatory exit class at the end of the semester.
Fall 2013 Externship Deadlines
- Forms due no later than Thursday, September 12, 2013, at 5:00pm
- Mandatory orientation: Friday, September 6, 2013, at 4:00pm, Hotung 2000
- Externships must start by the week of September 16, 2013 and end by Friday, December 6, 2013.
- Mandatory exit class: Friday, December 6, 2013
- Paper due to Registrar: Friday, December 13, 2013 by 5:00pm